I ask him to read 1 chapter to begin the story time. Then he negotiates this book has very long chapters. I say he can read 5 pages. Then he says 5 is too many. And somehow we land on 4 pages.
Then, he starts reading. Today, while he was reading the first page, he pauses to tell me, "Mumma, actually for today, I will read only 3 pages. Ok Mumma, just for today". I look up from the book I'm reading in bed, but say or do nothing that would imply agreement.
He continues his reading. In a few seconds he looks up again and said, " Actually Mumma, just for today I'm reading 2 pages only". I look up but then continue with my personal reading time.
In a few seconds, this time Bobby said, "Mumma today I'm doing 1 page only. Play, just for today".
Now I jump up, "What is even going on here Bumble city! Just for today you'll be reading 15 pages today! Just for today". He squeals in protest, "Not 15!!". "Not 1 either!!", I protest! "Fine 2 then!".
3.
2.
3.
Noo!!.
Fine 2 then.
And momentarily we reach an agreement. Momentarily.