Sunday, August 9, 2026

Rolly

It seems to be a bad idea now in retrospect, but I went to IKEA by myself yesterday. During the week Bobby and I had planned we will sort and organize his toys and legos that are currently stuffed haphazardly into the credenza cabinet. We looked up some options on ikea's online site and decided we will go to the store over the weekend. But then when I asked him to come along he sprung this up to me, "Only if you get me at least 1 toy". "You stay right here", was my answer. 

And so I went by myself on this mission. It is hard not to get distracted at ikea, but I was mostly sticking to my agenda. Until I saw a sweet plush toy taxi! It was so cute, about 2-2.5 feet in length, yellow as a chick, with white lights in the front and red lights at the back. It was soooo cute! I had to pick it up and give it hug immediately. It wanted to get into my cart. I told her I'll take her to where her other friends are - she was just one of a kind, no other plushies were in that area, and certainly no other taxis. Where are the rest? I thought maybe in a different section I'll find a basket full of taxis, and then I can return her to a basket full of friends! After several turns and travels i found the kids section and baskets of plushies. There was a yellow octopus with big curious eyes! We took a picture together immediately. But then i returned it to is basket. No basket full of taxis though.

I called up Raj to tell him what a bad idea this was to send me to ikea by myself. And now all the plushies are talking to me, and I'm making friends I shouldn't be making! Now they want to come home with me! Raj told me I should put the taxi back. But I said I can't just leave her, she doesn't have any of her friends here. I have to find her other friends so she can be with them. This was, at a stretch, only half true. Raj said if the taxi comes home the 6 year old with snag it from me as soon as it gets home. That was a risk I was willing to take!

So on and on I went. The taxi then followed me through the store in my cart, eventually riding with me in the car and then coming home with me in my arms! 

Bobby boy saw her and loved her immediately. He did yank it from my hands and hugged her close, as Raj had predicted. In the night Bobby and I hugged Taxi in the bed and named her Rolly.